Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Might be time for another one of these...



About ten years ago, I bought a NeXT Color Turbostation and it became my main machine at home for about five years thereafter. Performance-wise, it was basically the equivalent of a Mac Quadra 650 (also a good machine for its time) but with a futuristic, beautiful and rock-solid Unix-based OS. I only sold it because I was moving to LA and needed to lighten the load, but I never lost admiration for the NeXT design aesthetic and elegant user experience. I think it may be time to get another one of these...NeXTstep has an enduring brilliance, and is in some ways more elegant than its descendant, Mac OS X. If you're into computers (particularly if you're a Mac enthusiast) and are not familiar with the NeXT story, check out the above link. The machine was another example of Steve Jobs's vision and taste, qualities all too rare in the computer business. Also, it seems someone's managed to get OpenStep running on an Intel MacBook Pro. Gotta love Parallels Desktop. Considering how zippy OpenStep was on a PII/300 PC, I'd imagine this scenario would perform quite well, even with the virtualization overhead...

No comments: